The negative effects of the environment are a serious concern when it comes to skin health. Apart from UV damage, the most significant environmental pollutant is cigarette smoke. Passive smoking can have a negative effect on the skin as can city smog, car fumes and dehydrating air conditioning systems. Environmental damage on the skin is best addressed in the following ways:
- Opt for a diet high in natural antioxidants or take oral antioxidant supplements such as Coenzyme Q10 or Green Tea extract.
- Ensure you effectively and thoroughly cleanse morning and night with an SLS free cleanser which is pH balanced (such as Synergie Skin Cleansers). NEVER go to bed without cleansing!
- Hydronic heating and evaporative cooling is much kinder to skin than air-vent heating and cooling.
- Apply daily sun protection to fight UV damage (such as ÜberZinc and ÜberZinc Body)
- Set your makeup with a pollution and Infrared defence spritz (such as Synergie Skin Enviroshield).
- Use topical antioxidants daily that will effectively combat the effects of free radical damage created by environmental pollutants. The most potent skin antioxidants include: